Plan an Event
Brainstorm your Goals and Objectives
- Brainstorm The first step in event planning is to articulate clearly the goals and objectives of your event. Brainstorm with your group and make an effort to include and consider the opinions of as many members as possible.
- Reach Out Those who help generate ideas are far more likely to assist in other ways throughout the planning process. Once you've created a list of options, revisit those the group is most excited about and assess their feasibility.
- University Calendars Consult University calendars (including academic calendars and Timeline) and other planning sources on campus, conduct Google research to learn more about your proposed event, see if similar events have been planned elsewhere (particularly at other colleges).
- Consult the Records Consult the records of your own organization to determine if similar programs may have been offered in the past.
- Mutual Interests Virtually every event can be strengthened through collaboration with other organizations on campus. In considering your idea, are there other groups or departments who are likely to have a mutually shared interest in the goals for your event? Are there opportunities for unexpected collaborations that could further strengthen the campus community?
- Opposing Views Could the content of the event be more fully explored by bringing in groups commonly thought to hold opposing views?