Travel Policies

How to Plan and Travel to Off-Campus Events

Student groups may choose to plan trips and events that require travel off campus. However, student leaders should be cognizant of the fact that all travelers must strictly adhere to the University's policies listed here, on the University Travel site, and on the Risk Management site. Failure to comply with policy will result in prohibition of individual or group travel and, in particularly egregious cases, disciplinary action.

Before You Go

  • Contact Home Department Groups must contact their home department before committing to any travel plans. 
  • Register in Concur In addition to reaching out to the appropriate department, all student organization travel must be registered by submitting a travel request in Concur. 
  • Plan Ahead Depending upon the complexity of your trip, the approval process may take several weeks. Plan ahead!


  • Car Rental Agencies and Arrangements ODUS has negotiated rates for undergraduate students with Enterprise. Students may not utilize other agencies. All rental arrangements must be made in the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students, located at 313 Morrison Hall .
  • Tolls All groups are required to purchase an EZ-Pass when renting a vehicle. Although the cost of the pass is the responsibility of the group, ODUS will cover the cost of tolls.
  • Campus Vehicle Driver Certification Driving a University-owned or -leased vehicle is an earned privilege for student drivers. All students requesting driving privileges on or off campus for organization-related activities must complete the Campus Vehicle Driver Certification process prior to traveling. For undergraduates, this includes filling out the Driver's History Questionnaire, completing an online test and completing a behind the wheel test.
  • University-Related Business All University-owned vehicles or vehicles rented by a student organization are to be used solely for official University-related business. Insurance for these vehicles is primary for all liability occurrences. 
  • Damages Any damages resulting from an accident while on personal business will not be subject to coverage by the University's insurance policy. Additionally, students using University-rented or -owned vehicles will be subject to disciplinary action if these vehicles are used for personal reasons at any time.
  • Traffic Violations Traffic violations are the responsibility of the person driving the vehicle. Student organization funds may not be used to pay traffic violation fees or fines. Unpaid tickets and/or citations can lead to a suspension of travel privileges for the group.
  • Report Traffic Accidents All traffic accidents, regardless of severity, must be reported to the Department of Public Safety immediately. If you are not on campus, please call Public Safety at (609) 258-1000. A detailed report of the accident must be submitted to your home department on the first full day after the the group returns to campus. This report will be distributed to the Department of Public Safety and the Office of Risk Management for insurance purposes. Failure to comply with these procedures will result in prohibition of group travel.
  • Safety Concerns The University maintains the right to cancel any trip due to safety concerns (i.e., poor road conditions and storm warnings).
  • Personal Insurance When using your own vehicle on organization business, your personal insurance is always primary, which means that you are liable for any accidents and for those traveling with you in your car. Using a personal vehicle on University related business is an exposure to personal insurance coverage.

While Driving

  • Travel Times Traveling times should favor daytime travel. Overnight driving (12:00am-5:30am) is prohibited.
  • Cell Phone Use At no time may the driver use a cell phone while operating the vehicle.
  • Speed Drivers should not speed to maintain a "caravan." Each vehicle should have its own set of directions. On long trips, students should make arrangement to meet at pre-determined points along the route

Other Modes of Transportation Policies

  • Fifteen Passenger Vans University insurance does not cover transportation in fifteen passenger vans. Fifteen passenger vans are not permitted to be used for any student organization’s travel needs. Any group found using a fifteen passenger van for any travel may be subject to disciplinary action and will lead to a suspension of travel privileges for the group.
  • Golf Carts Organizations using University owned or leased golf carts are required to follow University policy governing such activity. Failure to comply with these policies will result in the revocation of golf cart privileges for the group responsible.
  • 30 or More Students If the organization is traveling with a group of 30 or more students, it may be most cost-effective to charter a bus (either a coach bus or a yellow school bus). 
  • Travel by Bus Bus transportation costs typically start around $750 and coach buses may cost twice as much as a yellow school bus.
  • Pick-up and Drop-Off Pick-up and drop-off locations must be coordinated through the Office of Parking & Transportation
  • Prospect Avenue Prospect Avenue is located in the Princeton Township (i.e., The Street does not belong to the University). If you would like to use this as your pick-up/drop-off location, you must coordinate with the Office of Parking & Transportation and the Princeton Township Parking Department.
  • Tipping Inquire in advance what the company's policy is regarding tipping the driver
  • Flights Flight arrangements should be made through University Travel ([email protected]).


  • Host University If traveling to another college or university, students may arrange to be hosted by members of other university communities in on-campus dormitories in compliance with the host university's policy.
  • Hotels The University has negotiated discount rates with local hotels and several global hotels. For a full list, please visit the University's Travel Site
  • You may also contact University Travel ([email protected]) for assistance finding accommodations.
  • Non-Traditional Lodging If you are utilizing non-traditional lodging, speak with your home department about requesting a certificate of insurance