Housing Accommodations

Housing Accommodations Process

The Housing Accommodations process (formerly termed “Special Needs Housing process”) is administered jointly by the Department of Housing and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS). This process is intended to provide special consideration in housing for students with medical conditions and disabilities.  This process is not intended to address requests pertaining to religious preferences, or the residential dining and residency requirement for first-year and sophomore students.

In order to be considered for a housing accommodation, students MUST submit all requests with supporting medical documentation by the respective deadlines:

While applications for housing changes based on unanticipated medical needs will be considered after these deadlines, any changes are subject to availability of appropriate housing.  Students are not obligated to accept the Housing Accommodations assignment offered.  If a request does not meet the criteria for a Housing Accommodation based on documented need, students will be referred to housing for a room change.

Guidelines for Housing Accommodations:

ODUS and Housing are committed to the fairness of the housing accommodations process, and adhere to several principles and guidelines in making placements.

Rooms larger than a two-room double will not be made available during the housing accommodations process.

Please note that per Rights, Rules, Responsibilities, students “are expected to be honest and straightforward in their official dealings with University processes, activities, and personnel.”  Any student found to be provide inaccurate or misleading information to gain an advantage in on-campus housing will face disciplinary action.

Common Housing Requests:

The following list contains the most common housing requests, and how they are typically handled.  This list is not exhaustive.  Actual assignments may vary based upon the availability of appropriate housing, as well as the documented need:

Asthma / Environmental Allergies and Food Allergies:

Specific Assignments: Students with asthma or other respiratory conditions and environmental allergies typically have their needs met by being in uncarpeted, lower occupancy rooms.  Students are also advised advise that HEPA filters are approved appliances, effective at filtering allergens, and may be brought to campus.  The needs of students with food allergies are typically supported through Campus Dining’s residential dining program, rather than housing requests.

Private Kitchens: Due to limited numbers of private or limited-access kitchens on campus, access to these spaces cannot be guaranteed.  The needs of students with food allergies are typically supported through Campus Dining’s residential dining program rather than housing requests.

Air Conditioning: Students requesting air conditioning should be aware that dormitory regulations do not permit students to bring or install their own units.  A/C is not guaranteed in undergraduate dormitories, as our facilities and infrastructure limit the ability to provide it to all students.  Medical authorities have determined that air conditioners do not have any advantages in reducing air borne allergens over HEPA filters.  However, based upon a student’s specific diagnosis, ODUS, in consultation with University Health Services (UHS), will evaluate possible accommodations for a student’s medical condition.

Please visit the Air Conditioning Alternatives page for additional information.

Other Medical or Psychological Conditions:

Private or Semi-private Bathrooms: Due to limited numbers of private or semi-private bathrooms on campus, the assignment of rooms with these features cannot be guaranteed.

Single Rooms: Princeton University makes available many spaces (libraries, study rooms, and resources such as the Accessibility Center for quiet, reduced distraction, or private study.  Requests for single rooms due to a learning disability are not typically supported through housing requests.  Students who feel that they may have a learning disability are encouraged, but not required, to contact the Office of Disability Services. ([email protected])

Additional policies and procedures regarding accommodations can be found on the Inclusive Princeton website.