Well-being, Crisis and Other Resources


Sunset in McCosh Courtyard

Connecting Students to Resources

Members of the ODUS staff help undergraduates connect to University resources designed to support students both in times of crisis and in ongoing ways.  The assistant deans for student life (ADSLs), whose offices are located in each residential college, serve as case managers in crisis situations. They are also available to talk with students about well-being concerns and can refer them to appropriate campus resources.  ADSLs and other ODUS staff partner with staff in many other offices to address issues of concern, respond to problems and conflicts and identify resources that can best support students and ensure their continuing success. Those offices include:

Counseling and Psychological Services

University Health Services

Office of Religious Life

Department of Public Safety

Ombuds Office

Office of Disability Services


Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity

Occasionally, students may decide to take a leave of absence to address personal or medical issues.  For more information about taking a leave of absence, students should contact their residential college dean and consult the Undergraduate Announcement.  The following list of “Frequently Asked Questions” may also be helpful for students who are considering a leave for medical or psychological reasons.

If you are a member of the faculty or staff and you have a concern about a student's wellbeing, we encourage you to discuss your concern with a member of the student's residential college staff. 


Deans on Call - Members of the ODUS staff serve in an on call rotation after business hours and on weekends in case of emergencies and can be reached by calling the Department of Public Safety (258-1000).

Deans Emergency Fund - ODUS provides support to enrolled high financial need undergraduate students in the event of medical or travel emergencies.  Specifically, this fund can help defray expenses related to: necessary and critical medical care not covered by insurance, travel home for a family emergency, or other emergency travel. This fund is not intended to be used for the purchase of personal items, such as clothes, computers, etc. The Office of Financial Aid creates financial aid packages appropriate to individual student needs that include allocations for travel home during breaks, expenses for personal items, and other non-emergency expenses. Contact your Residential College assistant dean for student life to learn how to apply.

If you have general questions, please contact Dean Thompson.

Vice President for Campus Life Emergency Fund - The Office of the Vice President for Campus Life is pleased to introduce the new emergency funding webpage. This new resource page is a central navigation system for undergraduate and graduate students seeking financial assistance for essential needs and hardships from several departments and offices across campus. We encourage students to use this webpage as an initial step in their search process for emergency funding.