Conflict Resolution

Foundations of Civil Discussion

Conflict can be a normal part of living in community. The University expects its members first to employ honest, direct and civil dialogue as a means of resolving conflict. If, despite this effort, conflict persists, resources exist to help parties resolve disputes.

First- and second-year students experiencing roommate conflicts ordinarily request help from their residential college adviser (RCA). When additional assistance is required, students may seek the help of their director of student life.

No Communication / No Contact Orders

On occasion, when there is an interpersonal conflict or situation that members of the University community believe is interfering with their educational or work environment, they may seek to have no communication with another member of the community or may seek to avoid being in the same location as another member of the community. In such cases, enrolled students may request a two-way No Communication order or a mutual No Contact order. They may request such an Order with respect to another enrolled student or University employee, and the request will then be reviewed by the appropriate University administrator(s).  For more information about No Communication and No Contact orders, see these Frequently Asked Questions.


Please report any conflict involving violence, the threat of violence or other breaches of conduct regulations.

Department of Public Safety
(609) 258-3134

The Ombuds Office also offers conflict resolution assistance to students, faculty and staff.